Friday, July 23, 2010

What I've been up to....

So, here I'd like to share with you some of the projects I have been working on over the summer. It actually started in April in preparation for Mother's Day. I made my sister-in-law, Brooke, a keepsake 6x6 book commenorating her first Mother's Day. It's a chipboard book commenorating the first six months of Allison's life. I used the Teresa Collins Chic Bebe' Girl line of paper and embellishments. I coated the outside of it with modgepodge to seal it. Hooked it together with binder rings and added ribbon to make it more girly. Brooke loved it! It made me so happy to make it! Heehee! Yes, I'm a big dork who geeks over scrapbook stuff. If you haven't figured that out by now.......




Then I had to make a Father's Day one for my brother Dan because how unfair would that be if he didn't get recognition too. I wanted the same kind of brag book for Dan but it had to be more masculine. While Brooke's book was a look at Allison at each of the first six months of her life, Dan's book was going to be about his love of photography. He's always taking candids of her and some of those pictures are going to get him into trouble when she starts dating. Thank goodness that's not for many years yet. The Mamarazzi line of paper from Bo Bunny was just screaming Dan's name. It has all these vintage cameras on it and all these references to photography. I finished off the covers with modgepodge again to seal it. I also used metal hole protectors and I can't remember if they are Tim Holtz or 7 Gypsies but they added a masculine touch. Of course, I needed to add something to the rings to dress it up, so I used a ribbon that wasn't too fussy.




I also made some Father's day gifts for my Dads (Glenn who is married to my mom and Bob who is my biological dad).

For Glenn, I took a wooden block, sanded and painted it. I got the wooden block from Scrapbook Barn. I think you could find it at other craft stores too but I'm not sure. Then I took some 7 Gypsies paper and ripped it and distressed it with Tim Holtz ink. I printed the pictures in sepia tone and added them to the block along with the die cut letters. I modgepoded over the whole thing to seal it. My dad loved it and has it on his desk at his job, which is what I had intended.



For Bob, I got a chipboard book that spelled out "Christmas". I painted the outside green and the inside red. Then I modgepodged it again as a sealant. I like modgepodge....if you couldn't guess. Then I decorated the inside with pictures we had taken during our Christmas visit. I used several different brands of designer paper and embellishments. Dad loved it! All he could say was, "Wow!" Made me smile.



I use modgepodge on these types of things because I want to preserve what the paper looks like. It acts like a preservative, Iguess. Just in case you were wondering.

And, of course, I had to make something for my darling hubby too!



For Brad, I commenmorated this years baseball season with our son William. I figured, since I was making keepsakes for all my other family, I should, naturally, make something for him. He liked it.

Oh, how could I forget to show you the framed scrapbook art I made for my Mom for mother's day. Shame on me!



I used paper from Prima Marketing, a sentiment from Bo Bunny and Stickles.



Then after that I had an 50th wedding anniversary album to work on for a woman named Jan. She hired me to do it for her parents. She said that they did not own anything like it and she was not a scrapbooker. It wasn't too hard a task as she didn't want alot of embellishments. It was all I could do to restrain myself because I LOVE embellishments. I hid alot of journal boxes throughout the album. Jan said, at first, that she didn't want journal boxes in the album because she didn't think her mom would want to journal. Jan said her mom didn't think her handwriting looked nice and didn't think she could right well. I showed her a couple pages that I finished with hidden journal boxes and she loved the idea. This way, her mom can write down her thoughts, preserve her family history but it doesn't have to be on display. Another cool fact was her mom wrote on the backs of some of the photos. I scanned the writing, copied it to cardstock and incorporated it into the album. So, her mother really did personalize the album. Their anniversary is at the end of August. I hope they love it as much as I loved putting it together. Here is a sample of some of the pages I did from that album.













For the papers, I used 7Gypsies, My Minds Eye and Graphic 45. They collect antiques and these lines have a heritage look to them.


So, now I'm on to other projects. I'm finishing up my wedding album. Yes, you read right. I've been married for 17 years and am finally doing my own pictures (more on that later). I'm also working on updating a wall in my kitchen. It's been decorated the same way for 16 years and needs a change. Here's what it looks like now....
You'll have to stay tuned for the result....... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment