Saturday, September 3, 2011

A Blank Canvas

One of my favorite holidays is coming up.  Halloween!  I love all the decorating involved with Halloween, more so than Christmas.  I don't know why.  It only lasts one day, where Christmas is a whole season.  I know I need my head examined, but that's for another day.  So here is my blank canvas:


At the store I work at, Melissa, my boss and friend, had these great wood banners she got a few years ago.  She said to take one and do anything with it.  The wheels started turning.  The letters were held together with real thin gauge wire, so I took it apart.  I don't have a picture of it (darn!) but I painted the backs of the letters with a dirty orange color.  I knew I wanted to play with beeswax.  I don't use this stuff enough and I LOVE it! 

So, I covered the letters with Authentique's Glowing papers line. I used papers from the 6x6 paper pad. At first, I was trying to create a wax dripping effect but it wasn't working out right so I started covering the whole letter. Then Melissa had the great idea of adding distressed cheese cloth to the mix.  Then it was time for finishing touches.  Ribbon, buttons, and wire of course, but what else?  Charms!  We have some great charms at the store, so I add a couple and viola!  Now, there you have a sign ready for the front door or in your home.  I kind of hate to give it up!  I guess I'll have to aquire my own blank canvas so that I can make another one!  If you want to buy this one, stop by the Scrapbook Barn (if you're in AZ) and check it out!






No comments:

Post a Comment