Monday, October 17, 2011

A unique gift

So, back in August, a woman was referred to me by a gal I work with who was looking to have a scrapbook made.  But not just any ordinary scrapbook, this one had to have Horton hears a Who everywhere on it.  I thought about it for a few days and then gave the lady a call.  I met a wonderful woman named Patricia who was going to be a great-grandmother for the first time at the ripe old age of 63!  Yeah, I couldn't believe it either.  In talking to her, I found she had some definite ideas about what she wanted to see in this book.  I told her to email me her ideas and we would go from there.  She sent me ideas all right.  And how!  Basically, what she sent me were ideas for a baby record book.  Her great-grandson has not been born yet.  She wanted a book for her grand-daughter to keep track of his firsts in. 

We met for lunch and I told her I had the idea that we should do an altered storybook.  She wasn't quite sure about it.  I told her a traditional scrapbook would be too cumbersome to keep a running record in.  She wanted something her grand-daughter could write in but wanted it to be with Horton.  Horton comes into the picture because her grand-daughter's in-laws painted a mural on the nursery wall of Horton hears a Who. 

As you can tell from the picture, this wall is unbelievable.  So, Patricia liked the idea and I just ran with it.  What I ended up with, was creating a baby book personalized to her great-grandchild's name, family and of course, Horton.  It turned out beautifully.  I had never made an altered book before and luckily, I work with amazingly talented woman, who are so willing to help and offer advice. 


I even personalized the cover.  Patricia wanted her great-grandson's name throughout the book, even on the cover.  I found sticker letters that worked with the existing font.  I modge podged over the letter so they won't peel up over time.  This was great fun to put together but very labor intensive.  You wouldn't think so but along with the record pages and storybook pages, I made scrapbook pages for her to put pictures in. 


I also created a dedication from Patricia and her husband which she was so happy with.  It's those extra little touches that mean so much.


The end result was a present that Patricia gave to her grand-daughter at the baby shower.  I have to show you a picture of the cake that Patricia's daughter made for the shower.  It's Suessical!  Can you imagine how long it must have taken to make this thing?!


Well, Patricia had texted me after the shower and said that the book was a hit and that it was the talk of the topic of conversation the whole afternoon and night.  I'm happy I got to be involved in making such a unique gift.  It was great fun putting it together and I ended up with a happy customer.  She still wants to get together to have lunch.  I think I've made a life long friend. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment